Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Commercial Break: Anti-Graduation Rant Turned Upside Down

You may think I've had glorious amounts of free time to ponder and collect my thoughts on the meaning of my college degree as summer has just commenced, but in reality my life has been consumed with preparations for my brother's high school graduation party. I am up to my ears in childhood pictures, have made quite good friends with the copy/scanning machine, and can now mat photos in my sleep. I admit, however, that I am quite proud of the tri-fold picture boards I've created and am expecting to be wildly complimented for my efforts come Saturday (I'm half kidding).


Looking back on my own high school graduation I don't think I ever thought twice about what it meant. And while I don't want to regress that far, I do think it's helpful to remember that college is a choice (as opposed to high school). In a sense, a high school diploma says, "Yeah! You did what we wanted!" while a college degree says, "Yeah! You did what you wanted!" This contrast actually gives me a fresh perspective on what I've just accomplished:


A college degree is evidence of one's personal pursuit and completion of their individual education by choice. In essence, as a student, you chose a goal (a major) and submit to the training authority of a particular community of educators (choosing a college); they keep you accountable, but in the end, you met your goal. At the end there's a ceremony where you're reminded that this is what you wanted four years back.


Conclusion: A college degree is the fulfillment of a personal goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment