Monday, June 14, 2010

Hellooooo California!

Best news yet: the Sacramento Airport has free Wi-Fi! Who knew?

My flight just got in around 11:30 am PT. (Remember, I'm now 2 hours behind all of you back home.) Everything has gone so smoothly, and I am convinced that I absolutely love to travel! Navigating through an airport almost feels like second nature; though I'm so used to being with my family that I feel like they all just took a trip to the bathroom or to get lunch and I'm in charge of watching the luggage. Haha. In reality it's just me, my suitcase, backpack, purse, and a coffee. 

Shortly after I got off the plane I spied a Starbucks that I knew I would be returning to once I got my suitcase from the baggage claim. I woke up at 4:15 am CT this morning, which felt oddly reminiscent of my finals week since I only got about four hours of sleep last night; (now you know mom, haha.) My mom dropped me off at the airport and I sacrificed a morning coffee in effort to try and sleep on my first flight to MN. It went sort of as planned. My flight was slightly delayed due to some resting regulations for the flight officials who got in later than planned the night before. It wasn't a huge deal, though I did have a tighter than desired connection in St. Paul. I sadly had to pass up Caribou, but decided it was better to make my flight than to get a coffee. (Good decision, huh mom?) I spent most of the flight pouring through magazines I had brought and also started a new book.

Best moment on the plane by far: While boarding my flight from MN to Sacramento there was a lovely little scene created by a middle-aged couple and their likely 30 year old son who probably still lives at home, all who spoke in a quite twangy accent. They were severely struggling to stow away all their luggage in the overhead compartments, which was started by the mom who arrived at their row and immediately started complaining that she was just too weak to do anything. There was no way she was going to help lift anything due to her sudden incompetence. But right behind her her son reassured her saying, "I'll do it mom; I'll do it mom; don't worry." Thankfully the suitcase did not come crashing down because I was seriously doubting this guy's muscular strength. Part two of this entertainment came when both the father and the son each had a guitar to stow; the son failed to shove his father's guitar into an empty bin fast enough before another passenger allegedly put his bag in the bin first and made a smart remark. The son returned to their row defeated. Then the father nearly flipped out when they were told they were going to have to check one of the guitars because there wasn't room; he was not happy about the fee he was anticipating when it was clearly not his fault that there wasn't space. In addition, the father and son insisted that the other (already stowed) guitar be the one to be checked since it was the cheap one, and so the flight attendant had to switch them even after she had already tagged the first one. Once this whole ordeal was over, I was seriously stifling my giggles as the three of them continued to bicker across the aisle about everyone else who seemed to be causing them problems. Oh my.

Best part of the Sacramento Airport: You know all those overhead messages that travelers are bombarded with at airports, the ones we all end up tuning out after the first 5 seconds? Well, the Sacramento Airport has the best one that I personally find highly amusing. It goes something like this...

[In an unusually cheery voice] "YOU are a unique individual...your bags however may look just like someone else's...[something about 'please take care to keep an eye on your bags'.]" It's like a dose of unexpected positive psychology twisted into a redundant reprimand.

So as you can maybe tell, I'm just trying to pass the time. I did return to that Starbucks I mentioned and got an iced hazelnut latte - go figure, some things never change - and it's already gone. I'm going to be taking a shuttle to Redding, but the last passenger's flight that's going with us does not come in until 2:10 pm CT. I found this out from "Gary" from First Class Shuttle who left me a wonderful courtesy voicemail to confirm my ride. I like Gary already; hopefully we will have an entertaining van ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment