Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Daily Grind

I've attempted to go to bed early for the last couple of nights, but my intentions have yet to win out over the circumstances.

On Tuesday night I was doing really well at winding down after another long day. I had just written my previous post, I was all ready for bed, and literally had just finished washing my face and brushing my teeth when Amanda (who had gotten very bored since the boys left us alone for the evening and made their own plans) decided it would be a fun idea to tape all of our leftover birthday balloons onto the boys' apartment door since they weren't home. It sounded harmless and like a small dose of a fun to end the evening, so I gathered up balloons with Katy and Amanda and we started to head over to the boys' apartment. Katy, however, had a quick second thought to grab a sweatshirt since she was in her pajamas (as were Amanda and I), so we turned around to go back into the house. At this point we spent about a minute trying to unlock the door, which wasn't working, and (ironically) realized we had grabbed the boys' key. (Long story short: Dougen thought he had returned our house key when he actually had given us theirs.) So...I'm sure you can imagine how this played out: instead of decorating the door, now that we had the boys' key we decorated their living room with balloons and post-it note messages; then we went searching - in our pajamas - for Sam and Em who weren't at home; we ended up at the grocery store where we finally ran into them and found out they didn't have a key either. So then Katy, Amanda, and I went back to the boys place and hid out in the dark for a bit until they came home since we couldn't get into our own house. We "surprised" them, or rather just appeared awkwardly in their living room when they came home to a very "loved" apartment with balloons and post-its. Katy made a video of this whole escapade which is thoroughly entertaining; I'm sure it will be uploaded onto facebook soon. Needless to say: so much for going to bed early.

I also thought I was going to go to bed early on Wednesday night, but when I came out of class at the end of the day I had found that Amanda was arranging another dinner party at our house. Haha. I quickly asked how many people she had invited and what we were eating, since I knew I'd be doing a share of the cooking. We ended up having about 20 people come through total, but not all at the same time; we cooked hot dogs on the grilled and then educated our international friends on how to make a s'more! They loved them. I was able to take some down time for a bit in my room after we finished with all the food, which was nice. I basically spent the time buying music on iTunes, which was super fun. Then before we could go to bed we had to have a "family meeting" about our weekend plans, which had been evolving since earlier in the week. Since we have Monday off for the 4th of July holiday there have been many travel plans in the making. Somehow our microwave clock read 1:00 AM by the time the boys went home. Again: not an early night.

I ended up sleeping in this morning because my body was way too exhausted. Overall it helped me to have a better day. I was going to join in on some group dinner plans at one point this evening, but then found out that I couldn't go to the restaurant everyone was going to because they have lots of peanuts everywhere. I took this as confirmation that God wanted me to walk to Starbucks and read. So I'm off to a coffee date with Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment