Monday, July 19, 2010

Kingdom Culture

I've heard many people who have gone out to Bethel Church in Redding say things to the affect of "you just have to go there," or "there's just something about that place." I sort of understood what they meant, but not really - since I obviously hadn't been there, but now I feel like I can be one to better articulate what those vague phrases may actually be referring to.

It's the Kingdom Culture. What do I mean by that? I mean that the presence of God dwells in Redding with a thicker reality than I've sensed in all other places I've been. I mean that it's not like the conference or mission trip high that you get when you come back having done or received something "really spiritual," but that soon fades into a distant memory. I mean that the people of Bethel Church embody the love of God in such a tangible, honest, and honoring way that there is no room for even a thought about hypocrisy in the Christian church. I mean that there is evidence of the Body of Christ contending for heaven to invade earth. I mean that there is such a liberating atmosphere of freedom that lifts all pressures and expectations off of individuals who had been held back and unable to walk into all of who God has said they are. Heaven is expecting you to walk into who they know you are; and all that the enemy has designed to inhibit you from being yourself melts off with ease because of the Spirit of God that is rising up within you.

Personally, I experienced an incredible four weeks of personal freedom because of this atmosphere of heaven (another way to describe the Kingdom Culture.) I have never felt so comfortable to be my complete self around people that I have lived with; and granted I was rooming with some amazing girls, I also know that this was largely because of the presence of God where we were. I also had conversations with my roommates who said they felt the same way. (Furthermore, my mom picked out this same thing when she was there for the conference!) Before I went out to Redding I dealt with a brief fear of intimidation thinking that I was getting in over my head. I knew it wasn't God, so I prayed for God to free me of that fear and it went away. However, I had no idea the extent to which I would feel the complete opposite of intimidation, which would be accessibility & approachability (to God, Bethel staff, and my true self), relaxation, encouragement, love and acceptance. It's incredible how directly related the battle was to the reward that was waiting for me in Redding.

At a certain point it's one of those "you had to be there" sort of things; (and yes, now I sound like every other one of those people.) However, I hope this helps you catch a better glimpse of this Kingdom Culture in some way or another. I'd love to talk about it in more depth, so if you have questions feel free to ask.

1 comment:

  1. Mrs Boss you write so unbelievably well!!!! I could seriously read your stuff for hours! I love that so much of what you wrote about the Kingdom culture I have been unable to put into words and you just sum it up so well. Love you heaps! :)

    ReplyDelete